Tuesday, May 22, 2007

the plan was sudan. we had our visas and were feeling pretty optimistic. only thing we didn't have? our ferry tickets. once a week (monday's) the ferry goes from the aswan high dam, egypt through lake nasser to wadi halfa, sudan. we waited in the blistering sun (+ 40 C) from 11:30 am til 4:30 pm, hoping to be 2 of maybe 10 or so chosen to get on the ferry (all of us waiting had not purchased our tickets in advance like we should have....we didn't know these tickets were such a hot commodity). all this to say we were not chosen. bummed out, slightly sun-stroked and a tad dehydrated, we caught the first train out of aswan to cairo. we arrived in cairo this morning and quickly set out to book a flight out of here.......anywhere. soooooooo, later tonight we fly out of cairo and into addis ababa, ethiopia. we've loved our experience here in egypt but are very ready for something new. ethiopia here we come!

2 comments:

Tom (Youth Leader Emeritus) said...

I know from my travels to Winnipeg that Etheopian food is among the greatest food ever...but, then that was Etheopian in Winnipeg, so I'm confused. Let me know what Etheopian is like in Etheopia...or better yet, see if they have any Winnipeg cuisine...Bannock, Peameal Bacon?

Anonymous said...

mmmmmm bannock! I particularly recommend that you consume it with chili...best combo ever!!

I think after touring Africa, you should learn more about the native people of Canada. I hear the James Bay Coast is a great place to start.
(Once again, trying to trick people to visit me...)